My Mystery Man (M-M-M) picked me up a Wagner Optimus Power Painter 5.4 because it was time to graduate to an “actual” paint sprayer.
I’ve used my Wagner on several occasions, and I’m able to achieve a somewhat smooth finish while up-cycling furniture. However, with all the spitting and spewing going on, it doesn’t provide the professional finish I was hoping for.
I had such a frustrating time today, it prompted me to write this review.
Now I’ll be the first to admit, I’m NOT great when it comes to reading and following instructions. I like to figure things out on my own via trial and error. I know… you don’t have to say it… this isn’t the smartest or most efficient way to learn something new, but stay with me here. In the case of my new Wagner Optimus Power Painter, I DID read the instruction booklet from cover to cover several times. (So for those of you who know me only too well, 😉 it’s not because I didn’t read the manual.)
Here’s the trouble I’m running into.
1. Once I assemble the Wagner and fill the canister with paint, it feels bulky and a little weighty. While spraying, I use 2 hands…. (and yes, I admit my hands are small). One hand holds the handle/trigger, while my other hand is under the reservoir to help with the weight and ensure smooth manoeuvring. Not the most comfortable.
2. I keep having to stop and fill the canister with more paint. Once the paint reservoir gets just below half, the paint starts spitting, leaking and blotching.
3. The instructions say you can spray without watering down your paint. I’ve tried leaving the paint “as is” AND watering it down. It doesn’t make any difference. Either way it still spits, leaks and makes a mess.
4. I can’t do any angled spraying without it sputtering and spitting. The Wagner needs to be held straight up and down for the best finish. (Wagner has come out with a new EZ Tilt suction tube which is flexible. The EZ Tilt claims to have remedied this problem and they say it can even spray overhead.)
5. It drips and leaks from I don’t know where??? The sprayer ends up so “painty” I’m not sure where all the leaks are coming from.
6. It has a lot of over spray. I’m shocked how much paint I’ve wasted.
My experience with this particular Wagner is disappointing and I may try returning it to Home Depot for a store credit. Home Depot is usually really good with returns within a 30 day time frame.
Have you tried using any of the Wagner Power Sprayers? If so, I’d love to hear how it worked for you! If you’re thinking of purchasing this Wagner, you can read more reviews here.
Have any questions about my experience? Leave a comment and I’ll do my best to help!
Now I’m heading back downstairs to clean up that mess….