Hi everyone… happy Tuesday!
My sister came up with this great Q-T-T idea while we were hauling this dresser up from my studio (aka: my basement) to the main floor dining area (aka: my staging / showroom). Whether you’re moving unpainted furniture into your house, a freshly painted piece to another room, or delivering your re-styled furniture to its new home, here are a few must have’s and safety tips to keep in mind.
My must have’s when moving/delivering freshly painted furniture:
1. Two Wheel Dolly – I’m super happy with my dolly because it also converts into a convenient four wheel cart!
2. Ratchet Tie Down Straps – To safely secure the piece to the dolly.
3. Bungee Cord Set – These come in hand when securing furniture in my van for delivery.
4. Four Wheel Dollies – MMM made me these (see below) from salvaged caster wheels and ply-board, but you can find many variations online or at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
5. Moving Blankets – To protect the furniture. I must have at least half a dozen of these!
To keep you and your freshly painted furniture safe, here are a few tips:
6. Wear protective foot wear for safety. I have a pair of steel toe riding boots I wear when I’m working…super comfy!
7. Beware of anything that could possibly scratch your freshly painted piece. This includes watches, rings, belt buckles or even sharp buttons or zippers on shirts and pants. Even a button on a pair of jeans can scratch a freshly painted surface. I speak from experience… it’s happened to me!
8. Take out the drawers for easy moving and handling.
9. Ensure your hands are clean from dirt or grease (no greasy lotion prior to moving… yes I’m guilty of this!) or wear gloves to protect the fresh surface.
10. Secure any swinging doors with movers plastic wrap (for delivery) or painters tape. Beware of using regular tape (duct tape or masking tape) on a freshly painted piece. I probably shouldn’t admit it, but yes, I’m guilty of this too!
How do you move your furniture? Do you have any tips to keep your freshly painted pieces looking immaculate while moving or delivering? Feel free to leave a comment below because I always love hearing from you!
This is the last Quick-Tip-Tuesday for 2014 and Q-T-T will be back again in the New Year! I want to thank everyone for all your enthusiasm and support for the SI Q-T-T Series. Your kind emails and all the positive responses you’ve shared is what keeps me inspired to get these tips out every Tuesday!
I’m not totally disappearing until the new year though… keep your eye’s peeled for my latest salvaged piece(s)… coming shortly!
See you soon and have a wonderful day!
Denise xRead More