What do old chairs and a Wood Tray-Riser have in common? Absolutely nothing – until my sister asked me if I could make her one! Andrea found these Tray Risers online and fell in love with this idea. The problem was they’re white (she wanted stained wood) and they’re slightly too tall – not to mention sold out at the time of writing this.
Today, I’m sharing this quick project with you in hopes it sparks a few ‘salvaged chair’ ideas. Or maybe you might want to make one of these cuties for yourself… or as a gift! And, you most likely have everything you need because who doesn’t have access to old chairs – right? 🙂
I used a small chair with a solid wood seat (for the reclaimed wood), and 2 old dining chairs with spindles and finials (for the feet). Theses types of chairs are a dime a dozen at any thrift store or garage sale.
- Old Wood Chair & Chair with Finial/Spindles
- Hammer, Utility Knife & Screw
- Wood Glue
- Sand Paper
- Paper Towel/Cloth or Rag
- Measuring Tape & Pencil
How To: DIY Reclaimed Wood Tray-Riser
- First, I disassembled the chairs
- Then, I salvaged the parts I needed: The finials from the old dining chairs and the seats off the wood chair
- I measured and marked off the wood seat. I made Andrea’s tray riser 14″x8″ but you can make it ANY size
- With a circular saw, I cut along the lines/measurements
- I sanded down the front, back and sides to removed the original finish and then hand sanded the finial feet and hard edge of the corners
- Using a hammer, utility knife and screw, I banged up the board, created some cuts and used the screw to create worm holes
- I stained the board (and finial feet) with Minwax Antique Oak Gel Stain making sure to get the stain in all the distressed holes and grooves
- Once the stain dried, I measured and drilled 4 holes for the finial feet
- I inserted some wood glue into the drilled holes
- I then added the salvaged finial feet and then let dry
Ten steps in total, but each step only takes a few minutes. Look at how cute this is my sister’s room. I think I’ll have to make one for myself now!