HOW TO CREATE TEXTURE IN UNDER AN HOUR USING VERY LITTLE PAINT | METAL PLANTER MAKEOVER
Hi sweet SI family! Today’s metal planter is a stunning example of how a little paint can go a loooooong way to create a gorgeous textured finish! It’s also one of the fastest projects I’ve ever done. From start to finish – a one-hour makeover!
Bonus, it’s one of my favorite days of the month. I’m joining my Trash To Treasure Crew!! If you’re new to the #siblog, I join four other creative bloggers on the second Tuesday of each month. I’ll be sharing links to their before and after tutorials at the bottom of today’s post.
Here’s my T2T piece. I’ve owned this metal planter for years. It was used as a storage box for pillows and blankets at my last home. I used it as a plant holder when I first bought this house. I ended up getting bored and placed it outside where it started to rust.
Here’s the fresh new look. What do you think? Much better, right?
THIS POST IS SPONSORED/CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS TO PRODUCTS I USE. YOU CAN SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE.
To give this metal planter a brand new clean look, I started by removing the dirt and rust. I used my garden hose and an old rag to clean it all down. Once dry, I taped off the inside rim for a clean paint line.
Due to the rust, it took two generous coats of BIN Shellac Primer. I used my brush to add texture by pouncing it up and down and creating brush strokes in different directions.
I applied the 2 coats of primer and then the painting fun started.
For the base, I used Dixie Belles Cotton. I applied the paint using the same technique as the primer adding texture with the brush.
You can probably tell by my messy jar I get a lot of use out of this crisp white. It’s a MUST in my paint arsenal because it allows me to create a variety of colors using the paints I already have. It’s the perfect white to lighten up colors without changing their hue.
I barely used any paint at all. I dapped the tips of the brush into the paint on the paint lid, removed all excess paint on the lip of the lid, and lightly ran the tips of the brush over the basecoat.
I dry brushed in straight lines and then added interest by going in a few different directions.
Here’s the finished look. Excluding dry time, this paint finish took less than an hour from start to finish!
My Gidget photobombed this next pic… maybe to show off her new spring-do! She was a little ragamuffin with her winter coat so it was time to pull out the clippers and pretend I’m a groomer. I did a pretty good job I think!
And now for some TRASH TO TREASURE FUN!
I know you’re going to LOVE what this talented team of ladies share. They never cease to surprise me with their creativity! Below are their BEFORE photos.
Visit the links underneath to see the amazing AFTERS and to learn how they did it!
I’m heading over to take a peek right now myself! x
5. Salvaged Inspirations (I’m so happy you’re here!!)
I HOPE THIS PLANTER MAKEOVER HAS INSPIRED YOU TO TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE LYING AROUND YOUR HOME. FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN … I ALWAYS LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!
Thanks for reading. 🙂
Wishing you a beautiful day filled with inspiration and Happy Painting friends!
PIN AND SHARE!